Here at Downtown Williams Lake, planning is underway for this year’s Four Directions Festival (formerly Stampede Street Party) that will take place on Saturday, June 30 from noon to 5pm (following the parade).
This festival is an opportunity for Downtown Williams Lake to say “Thank You!” to our community for shopping locally and supporting our downtown businesses. It is an event that gives people the chance to re-explore a section of our downtown. It is an event about keeping our downtown vibrant. It is an event that contributes to a sense of downtown community.
In our office, we know exactly who is at the heart of this downtown: That is the business and property owners who work so hard to offer unique sales and services. Our proposed festival zone (pending approval) is Oliver Street from 3rd Ave. to 1st Ave. and 2nd Ave. from Yorston St. to Borland St. This zone would make a nice, cozy “four directions” of festival fun!
Our Four Directions Festival will look a little different this year. We will NOT be offering a maker’s market and instead have been looking for all the ways that our downtown businesses could benefit from and/or participate in this event. Without the market, the event will be more about celebrating our downtown businesses, celebrating our community, and having lots of family-friendly and all-ages activities.
As a business or property owner in the downtown, we want YOU to be involved with this event and here is how you can do that. Contact our office if you are interested in any of the following opportunities:
- If you are within the festival zone, we would like to invite you to flip inside out! That could mean a sidewalk sale, or bring what you do on the inside, out!
- If you are outside of the festival zone, we will make space for you to offer a sidewalk sale or bring a small portion of your business within our festival boundaries.
- If you would like your business to be entered into a draw to see who will host one of our downtown stuffed toy mascots (which are just in the works now!) for a week-long social media hashtag contest(sort of a downtown scavenger hunt for the community!), let us know! If we don’t hear from businesses, we will select the 3 businesses to be the first hosts to our mascots.
- If you would like to offer some sort of “street party” activity, please let us know! Examples could be: selling popcorn, selling cotton candy, face painting, selling cold beverages, providing a small carnival game, hosting a community group for a ‘demo’ outside your business, etc… If you have an idea but aren’t quite sure how to make it happen, let us know and we will do our best to support you! If businesses do not take on these tasks, we will invite outside organizations and businesses to take this on….but we want to give you the first chance!
- If you are a food establishment business inside or outside the festival zone, help us entice the community to stay downtown to eat both after the parade (at noon) as well as after the festival (at 5pm). We will be printing a small handout for the community with festival information including lunch and dinner specials as well as even just small treats and snacks that are being offered by our downtown businesses!
It is important to us that we give our businesses the first opportunity to help make our festival FANTASTIC before we ask outside groups for help.
If you want to be involved, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 250-398-5717.
We can’t wait to hear from you ASAP (please respond by May 11th) to see what your business would like to offer at this event!